Tuesday 15 November 2011

The Rum Diary


Despite Johnny Depp's recent film choices being less than reliable, I still wanted to see The Rum Diary, mostly because the trailer did actually make me laugh out loud. Something I rarely do at most comedies, let alone the trailers for those comedies.

What I wasn't aware of when I made the decision to go and see The Rum Diary was that this was the prequel to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. One of the few Johnny Depp films I haven't seen and don't own.

The Rum Diary tells the story of American writer Paul Kemp (Johnny Depp), who is hired by a newspaper in Puerto Rico to help it's failing readership. Whilst out in a country where he doesn't speak the language (even though his CV says he does), Paul becomes embroiled in a dodgy deal involving building hotels on a private island, dabbles in drink and drugs and steals the wrong guy's girl. 

But that's about all he does. And while that might sound like a lot, The Rum Diary suffers a similar fate to In Time in that it feels like a very directionless film which has only been given the greenlight because Johnny Depp was involved. It is a slightly more interesting film than In Time however, and with infinitely better performances. Notably from Depp but no surprises there. He isn't the only good performer with fine support from Aaron Eckhart, Michael Rispoli, Amber Heard, Richard Jenkins and Giovani Ribisi.

But fine performances from a solid cast do not a good film make, as Yoda might say. As I mentioned above the film seems to lack direction other than to say that the story continues with Fear and Loathing, and I personally have no greater interest to watch that movie now than I did before I saw The Rum Diary.

There are funny moments but these have all been seen before in the trailer. Sadly this leads me to say that this is yet another lacklustre film from Mr Depp. His next film will need to be something spectacular if he's to lure me back to the cinema. 6 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 13th November 2011
UK Release Date - 11th November 2011

Cast Overview:
Johnny Depp ~ Paul Kemp
Aaron Eckhart ~ Sanderson
Michael Rispoli ~ Sala
Amber Heard ~ Chenault
Richard Jenkins ~ Lotterman
Giovani Ribisi ~ Moburg

Director ~ Bruce Robinson
Writer(s) ~ Bruce Robinson (Screenplay) and Hunter S Thompson (Novel)

2 comments:

  1. Grrr! Ides of March is coming up but I've gotta wait?

    I want to read that one now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you had to be patient! :0) What did you make of it now it's written?

    ReplyDelete