Monday 20 June 2011

Green Lantern


I can barely believe that it's been two weeks since my last review. I'd love to say it's all my fault because my other writing is taking precedence over my blogging, but in truth it's because there has been NOTHING new out at Cineworld in two whole weeks (unless you count Kung Fu Panda 2). After the disaster that was Kung Fu Panda (I won't go into it unless you want me to) plus the reverse recommendations from people who'd seen Kung Fu Panda 2, I decided it was probably best to avoid it.

Which meant a very long wait for this weekend when Green Lantern and Bad Teacher came out. I have now seen both films and will start with Green Lantern which I saw yesterday.

Green Lantern is based on a DC comic of the same name. Now, my comic book aficionado friends will no doubt want to bludgeon me with their comic books for this, but I will never-the-less confess that until the film was in production I'd never actually heard of Green Lantern. If you suffer the same lack of comic knowledge allow me to give you a brief run down of the plot.

Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds) is an irresponsible and reckless pilot who crashes his very expensive new plane when some daddy issues cause him to lose control during a test flight. Simultaneously we see an alien (who we later learn is one of the 'Green Lanterns' of the title) facing off against another alien who absorbs peoples fear and grows larger from it. Following the fight - well it's not really a fight, the Green Lantern just sort of runs away - the Green Lantern, Abin Sur (Temuera Morrison - aka Jango Fett from Star Wars!), is fatally wounded and crash lands on earth. He tells his ring to go and seek out the next Lantern to take his place. The ring finds Hal and et voila Hal becomes the next Green Lantern.

Allow me if you will, to compare one comic book movie to another very different comic book movie. Earlier this year saw the release of Thor, a comic book film which again, I knew nothing about. Whereas Thor brilliantly set up the background of all the characters, giving them all space to shine, it also managed to fit in an exciting plot and a whole story set on three different planets.

I know Green Lantern is a whole different kettle of fish, for one, it's DC rather than Marvel, but essentially it's trying to do the same thing. Teach us about a comic book character that hasn't been brought to the big screen before, show us some flashy special effects, create an emotional tie to the characters and make us want to see more of them.

Where Thor succeeded spectacularly Green Lantern fails. In every possible way. Don't get me wrong, Ryan Reynolds tries, he really does, to make Hal likable. He uses his usual mix of comedy and being ridiculously buff to get us on side. But the film is so incredibly dull that he just can't save it. The special effects are some of the worst I've seen since 2012's plane tried to take off in a dodgy CG dust cloud. At points it looks as if Ryan's head is just floating in mid air on top of his CGI body. It's just so painfully obvious CGI that it's kind of insulting. Isn't CGI supposed to have reached a point where everything looks real? 

I really do hate to compare, but for example, the Bifrost bridge in Thor was gorgeous. And looked like it was there. Whereas the aliens in this, did not look real for one moment. Should I even mention the laughable villain with the enlarged brain? One of my friends commented on the similarity between him and the wheelchair bound inbred of 'The Hills Have Eyes' and I have to say the likeness is uncanny!



My final thought would be that if you want to see Ryan Reynolds looking buff go and rent Blade Trinity. And if you want to watch a good comic book movie, well you'll just have to wait for Thor to come out on DVD. The disappointment of June continues - 6 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 19th June 2011
UK Release Date - 17th June 2011

Cast Overview:
Ryan Reynolds ~ Hal Jordan / Green Lantern
Blake Lively ~ Carol Ferris
Peter Sarsgaard ~ Hector Hammond
Mark Strong ~ Sinestro
Temuera Morrison ~ Abin Sur 

Director ~ Martin Campbell
Writer(s) ~ Greg Berlanti (Screenplay and Screen Story), Michael Green (Screenplay and Screen Story), Marc Guggenheim (Screenplay and Screen Story) and Michael Goldenberg (Screenplay)

5 comments:

  1. Ooh dear, and it all looked so promising with the trailers and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The key to a good superhero movie is you have to love what you're making so it works. Campbell was not a fan and hadn't heard of green lantern before starting the film, whereas branagh, raimi and faverau where all fans and so knew what the best things were about the characters they were bringing to life. DC learn from this. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good advice. Curious to know whether you'd agree with the review but doubt you'll see it now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would it be suitable for Riley to watch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I think so? There's no sex, there's one scene where Hal gets beaten up by 3 guys but he's not seriously hurt and it's not a long scene? I personally thought the baddie was laughable? From a kids POV?? I don't know? What other baddies has he seen? That will be your gauge as to what he can handle? Other than that I think he'd be fine?

    ReplyDelete