Saturday 19 November 2011

The Ides Of March


My loyal readers will be well aware by now of my well documented crush on Ryan Gosling. Therefore it was a given that I'd see The Ides Of March, even if it did look a bit dull and like it might hurt my brain with all the political speak. 

Seeing it however, proved to be more of a problem than I'd anticipated as it finished at my local Cineworld after only a week on release, and when I planned a trip to the next town (which has a bigger cinema) the week after, they stopped showing it too. Just when I'd given up completely and resigned myself to waiting for the DVD, my cinema buddy told me the Odeon had picked it up for one week only. 

The Ides Of March is essentially about a governor - Mike Morris (George Clooney - who also co-wrote and directed) who is running for presidency. One of his aides, Stephen (Ryan Gosling), is asked to meet with fellow aide who works for the opposition. Once he does, although nothing comes of the meeting, he feels compelled to tell the governor and is subsequently fired. But he soon learns something about the governor which makes him question the morals of the man who would be president. Something big enough that could stand Stephen in good stead if he chooses to use it. But as that would be as morally wrong as what the governor did, will he be able to make that choice?

The Ides Of March was pretty much what I expected it to be, a well acted and intriguing film. But I found myself pleasantly surprised by it too. It wasn't as dull as the trailer implied and wasn't so heavy on the political speak that it alienated me from the story. The performances are all excellent as you would expect from a cast including Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti and Marisa Tomei and the direction is slick and well paced. I also think that when George Clooney directs himself it makes him a better actor!

The story flips between politics and the people behind the speeches and decisions and this is what stops it from being boring and keeps it interesting. A taut and intelligent film, not to be missed. 8.5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 16th November 2011
UK Release Date - 28th October 2011 

Cast Overview:
Ryan Gosling ~ Stephen Meyers
George Clooney ~ Governor Mike Morris
Philip Seymour Hoffman ~ Paul Zara
Paul Giamatti ~ Tom Duffy
Evan Rachel Wood ~ Molly Stearns
Marisa Tomei ~ Ida Horowicz

Director ~ George Clooney
Writer(s) ~ George Clooney (Screenplay), Grant Heslov (Screenplay) and Beau Willimon (Screenplay - based on his play Farragut North)

1 comment:

  1. While the storyline doesn't bring anything new, the move is saved by the good acting. Ryan Gosssling held his own with George Clooney and even outshined his perfomance. I would say two thumbs up for acting and directing. George Clooney directed.

    ReplyDelete