Friday 11 November 2011

The Help


As previously mentioned in my Crazy, Stupid, Love review, I am a bit of a fan of Emma Stone. In fact, a bit is a bit of an understatement. Ever since I saw her in Easy A I have had a bit of a girl crush on her. And I also think she's one of the most promising actresses to come out of Hollywood in a long time. She's the only reason I'm even considering going to see the Spiderman re-boot. So when I heard about The Help it was a bit of a no-brainer that I would go and see it.

The Help is based on the best selling novel of the same name by Kathryn Stockett and tells the very different story of two women in Jackson, Mississippi during the early 1960s. Writer Skeeter (Emma Stone) has dreams much bigger than the small town in which she lives. The problem that she has is convincing the even smaller minds of the town's community, from the editor of the paper she works for, to her best friend and even her own mother, of the problems going on under their noses. Skeeter decides she wants to write a book from the perspective of 'the help', the African American maids who work for white families. Skeeter wants the world to know how they're treated, what they witness on a daily basis and how they're made to feel. The bigger problem is getting 'the help' to talk to her.

The more I looked into The Help, the more I read, the more interviews I watched, the more praise that was heaped on the book and in turn the film, the higher my hopes got. When I eventually saw the film however, it smashed all of that to pieces. It actually left me feeling that I'd just watched a really great film. 

The characters are fantastic, even the ones you hate, you can't help but admire the actors potrayal. And the actors, or rather actresses as this is a predominantly female cast, were faultless. Every single one. I know I already mentioned my girl crush on Emma Stone but she is wonderful. But then so are Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard, Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain. And the supporting cast is a dream, from the likes of Allison Janney (who can do no wrong in my eyes, I've loved her for years!) to Sissy Spacek and Mary Steenburgen. Fabulous one and all.

This is an eye opening story told with such emotion, had me laughing and crying in equal measure, which was so well executed by all involved. It seemed a story which was very dear to the hearts of everyone who had a hand in it, from the actors to the writers and director. It was a story told with such attention to detail and a lot of love.

I can't recommend this film highly enough. Harrowing in places, unafraid to show the bad with the good, but a film which ultimately proves that humanity can be gracious and kind. But without the schmaltz. As near perfect as a new film has gotten for me this year. 9.5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 4th November 2011
UK Release Date - 26th October 2011



Cast Overview:

Emma Stone ~ Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan
Viola Davis ~ Aibileen Clark
Bryce Dallas Howard ~ Hilly Holbrook
Octavia Spencer ~ Minny Jackson
Jessica Chastain ~ Celia Foote
Ahna O'Reilly ~ Elizabeth Leefolt
Allison Janney ~ Charlotte Phelan
Chris Lowell ~ Stuart Whitworth
Cicely Tyson ~ Constantine Bates
Mike Vogel ~ Johnny Foote
Sissy Spacek ~ Mrs. Walters
Mary Steenburgen ~ Elain Stein


Director ~ Tate Taylor
Writer(s) ~ Tate Taylor (Screenplay) and Kathryn Stockett (Novel)

No comments:

Post a Comment