Wednesday 16 November 2011

Ghostbusters


It's classic film time once again folks! But this time I didn't need to travel up to London, or visit my local independent theatre to watch an oldie but goodie, as Ghostbusters came to Cineworld for one night only. 

As I was only 3 when Ghostbusters came out I can't quite remember the first time I saw it. But I do remember that I loved it and still love it to this day. It's an undisputed classic with so many memorable lines it's almost criminal.

For the uninitiated, Ghostbusters is a film about three scientists who decide to become spook catchers in New York City. Their first client Dana Barrett (Sigourney Weaver) experiences a supernatural event in her kitchen and goes to the Ghostbusters, Dr Venkman (Bill Murray), Dr Stantz (Dan Aykroyd) and Dr Spengler (Harold Ramis) for help. They soon discover a coming apocalypse and Dana's apartment block seems to be the gateway. Will they be able to stop it in time? Or will the Environmental Protection Agency shut them down before they have a chance?

If you haven't seen Ghostbusters I suggest you get on it as Ghostbusters 3 (yes that's 3, there is also a Ghostbusters 2 that came out in 1989) is rumored to be coming out next year. The original is (so far) the best though and until now I had not seen it in the cinema. I saw Ghostbusters 2 a few years ago at a special one off screening, not dissimilar to this one, but seeing the original on the big screen was a special experience. 

I don't know what it is about 80s movies but they seemed to get away with so much more than films these days. Or maybe my mum was more accomodating and just allowed us to watch films we were too young for? It just seems to me that films like this and Back to the Future were a staple of my childhood and when I look at them now I see a lot of adult humour that I wouldn't have understood, strong-ish language and some quite scary visuals.

And yet, like another classic 80s film from my childhood, The Princess Bride, I still love Ghostbusters, but I find I love it now for the things I wouldn't have understood as a child. And yet not understanding those things back then certainly didn't make me love it less. I guess it just works on many levels.

Some of the effects haven't aged so well but a great story, written by the stars of the film Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis (and according to IMDb, co-written by Rick Moranis, although uncredited? How they know this I have no idea!) and fantastic comedic performances from Bill Murray, Aykroyd and Ramis, and what can only be described as great chemistry between all of the leads, Ghostbusters still thrills today.

If it's on at a cinema near you I recommend you go and see it, if not then you must buy, rent or borrow this off someone today and remember why it's considered a classic. 9.5 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 15th November 2011
Original UK Release Date - 7th December 1984

Cast Overview:
Bill Murray ~ Dr Peter Venkman
Dan Aykroyd ~ Dr Ray Stantz
Sigourney Weaver ~ Dana Barrett
Harold Ramis ~ Dr Egon Spengler
Rick Moranis ~ Louis Tully
Annie Potts ~ Janine Melnitz
William Atherton ~ Walter Peck
Ernie Hudson ~ Winston Zeddmore

Director ~ Ivan Reitman
Writer(s) ~ Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis

No comments:

Post a Comment