Friday 8 July 2011

Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone


Well this is a turn up for the books that's for sure. I never expected I'd be reviewing the past Harry Potter films. But the clause in my contract with myself stated that I was going to review every film I saw at the cinema this year. And as I plan to watch all of the Harry Potter movies on the big screen in the run up to the release of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2, that means I'll be reviewing them all too.

I came into the Harry Potter franchise in an unusual way. The first two films were released when I worked for UCI Cinemas in Preston and had I not worked there, I doubt I would have seen them. I knew of the books but hadn't read them (and had no interest in doing so) and if I'm honest, I simply watched the first film out of curiosity. You see I'd seen the trailer playing in the lobby for months, endured the queues of people lining up to see it, sold Bertie Botts Beans and Chocolate Frogs to children in robes and seated endless families who couldn't wait to enter the world of Harry Potter. And it got to the point when I wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

So I went along one day when I'd finished my shift, crept into the screen and sat in one of the empty seats at the back. And I found myself being pulled into his magical world of Diagon Alley, Hogwarts, Muggles, Enchanted Forests, Spells and Potions. Although I hadn't read the books, it was all very easy to grasp and get on board with.

Baby Harry Potter is orphaned when his parents - a witch and wizard - were killed trying to protect him. Harry is entrusted to his none magical aunt and uncle and grows up unaware of the knowledge of the wizarding world from which he comes, and unaware of the real reason for the death of his parents. When he turns 11, Harry is accepted into the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The same school his parents also studied at. It is here he discovers lots about the family he never knew, meets new friends and has his first adventure.

I remember watching the first movie and thinking, that was alright but I still don't really get what all the fuss is about. Since then I have watched every Harry Potter movie at the cinema, I own all of them on DVD and am in the process of reading the books. I also recently attended the World Premiere of the last movie Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2. I'm not claiming to be the biggest Harry Potter fan in the world, but I can now say that I get it. 

Watching the first film again, almost 10 years since I last saw it at a cinema, I got really teary at several points. It's so bittersweet, seeing the children all small and cute, starting their adventures, but also knowing that it will all soon come to an end. It's been a big part of movie goers lives, we know and love these characters so much that the thought of the films ending is really quite upsetting. 

I guess that quite clearly states how I feel about the film doesn't it? Sure I'll admit that the acting from the kids isn't great, but no-one expected them to be Oscar winners. But what I will say is that they all have their characters pegged completely. Radcliffe is adorable as the boy who lived, Grint plays mostly for laughs but it works brilliantly for his character and Watson plays stuffy Hermione to a T. The film is atmospheric with astonishing attention to detail and sets everything up perfectly (even if you've not read the books). 

The beginning of a beautiful friendship, not only between the characters but between us and them too. 8 out of 10. 


Viewing Date - 8th July 2011
UK Release Date - 16th November 2001

Cast Overview:

Daniel Radcliffe ~ Harry Potter
Rupert Grint ~ Ron Weasley
Emma Watson ~ Hermione Granger
Matthew Lewis ~ Neville Longbottom
Tom Felton ~ Draco Malfoy
Devon Murray ~ Seamus Finnigan
Sean Biggerstaff ~ Oliver Wood
James Phelps ~ Fred Weasley
Oliver Phelps ~ George Weasley
Chris Rankin ~ Percy Weasley
Bonnie Wright ~ Ginny Weasley
Julie Walters ~ Molly Weasley
Fiona Shaw ~ Aunt Petunia Dursley
Richard Griffiths ~ Uncle Vernon Dursley
Harry Melling ~ Dudley Dursley
Robbie Coltrane ~ Rubeus Hagrid
Richard Harris ~ Professor Albus Dumbledore
Maggie Smith ~ Professor Minerva McGonagall
Ian Hart ~ Professor Quirinus Quirrell
Alan Rickman ~ Professor Severus Snape
Warwick Davis ~ Goblin Bank Teller/Professor Flitwick
Zoe Wanamaker ~ Madame Hooch
David Bradley ~ Argus Filch
John Hurt ~ Mr Ollivander
John Cleese ~ Nearly Headless Nick

Director ~ Chris Columbus
Writer(s) ~ J.K. Rowling (Novel) and Steve Kloves (Screenplay)

2 comments:

  1. What a bloody good review.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. More where that came from...

    ReplyDelete