Thursday 14 July 2011

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1


Well my dear readers, we've reached the penultimate Harry Potter, The Deathly Hallows Part 1. The week of Potter watching and reviewing is drawing to a close.

And what a way to bow out, with the final book split into two films, we begin the end with an attempt to conceal Harry from the dark lord. This is done by turning several of his friends into versions of himself while the real Harry is transported away from Privet Drive to the safety of the Weasley house, The Burrows. Some are injured during this dangerous task, others don't make it back alive. Feeling guilty about those he cares about putting their neck on the line for him, Harry leaves, in search of the Horcrux's in which Voldemort has concealed pieces of his soul. With Ron and Hermione along for the ride, Harry discovers the location of one of the Horcrux's. But the hard part is finding out how to destroy it. As if that wasn't hard enough, Harry and co must find a way to keep the Horcrux safe whilst also keeping themselves at a distance from the dark magic it possesses.

The Deathly Hallows Part 1 is (or rather was until this week) the only Harry Potter film I have seen at the cinema more than once. And if I'm honest I don't really know why. Before the backlash starts I will clarify. It's not that I don't like Deathly Hallows Part 1, it's just that I don't see anything that particularly sets it apart from the other Potter's. It's not my favourite, and probably not my second favourite. And yet I saw it twice at the cinema.

But unlike some other Potter's, and like last night's Half-Blood Prince, I haven't seen this film since I saw it at the cinema. But as I did see it twice, and more recently than Half-Blood Prince, there were no surprises. 

Though I did forget (until about half way through) about the animated scene which tells the story of the deathly hallows. For those who haven't seen the film, I have included a link to it below. It won't spoil anything so feel free to watch. It's a lovely little animated scene and one which I thoroughly enjoy whenever I see it.


Funnily, the main thing I tend to remember about The Deathly Hallows Part 1 is the fact that they spend a lot of time camping, with Ron in a grump. I forget the early scenes with a Weasley wedding and breaking into the Ministry of Magic. Or the end scenes with Dobby at the Malfoy residence. But I think I block those out because they're so very very sad. 

Not the cheeriest Potter but a thumping good way to set up Part 2 all the same. 8 out of 10.





Viewing Date - 14th July 2011 
UK Release Date - 19th November 2010

Cast Overview:

Daniel Radcliffe ~ Harry Potter
Rupert Grint ~ Ron Weasley
Emma Watson ~ Hermione Granger
Matthew Lewis ~ Neville Longbottom
Evanna Lynch ~ Luna Lovegood
Tom Felton ~ Draco Malfoy
Devon Murray ~ Seamus Finnigan
Freddie Stroma ~ Cormac McLaggen
James Phelps ~ Fred Weasley
Oliver Phelps ~ George Weasley
Domhnall Gleeson ~ Bill Weasley
Clemence Poesy ~ Fleur Delacour
Bonnie Wright ~ Ginny Weasley
Julie Walters ~ Molly Weasley
Mark Williams ~ Arthur Weasley
Rhys Ifans ~ Xenophilius Lovegood
Helena Bonham Carter ~ Bellatrix Lestrange
Ralph Fiennes ~ Lord Voldemort
Jason Isaacs ~ Lucius Malfoy
Helen McCrory ~ Narcissa Malfoy
Timothy Spall ~ Wormtail
Fiona Shaw ~ Aunt Petunia Dursley
Richard Griffiths ~ Uncle Vernon Dursley
Harry Melling ~ Dudley Dursley
Michael Gambon ~ Professor Albus Dumbledore
Alan Rickman ~ Professor Severus Snape
Bill Nighy ~ Minister Rufus Scrimgeour
George Harris ~ Kingsley Shacklebolt
Imelda Staunton ~ Dolores Umbridge
Brendan Gleeson ~ Professor Alastor 'Mad Eye' Moody
David Thewlis ~ Professor Remus Lupin
Natalia Tena ~ Nymphadora Tonks
Robbie Coltrane ~ Rubeus Hagrid
John Hurt ~ Mr Ollivander
David Bradley ~ Argus Filch

Director ~ David Yates
Writer(s) ~ J.K. Rowling (Novel) and Steve Kloves (Screenplay)





No comments:

Post a Comment