Tuesday 12 July 2011

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire


As I had not one, but three conversations today about my recent review of the "new" Harry Potter film, I feel I must state that I have not seen the new Harry Potter film as IT'S NOT OUT UNTIL FRIDAY!!!

Now that we've cleared that up I shall re-state what you have in fact witnessed over the last 3 days. In the run up to the release of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 on Friday, I am watching all seven of the previous Harry Potter films at a rate of one film per day. The next day you will be treated to a review of the previous nights film. Got it? Because I won't explain it again? Good. Let's proceed.

Tonight's film is Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire. In this installment, Harry attends the Quiddich World Cup along with the Weasley family and new friends The Diggory's. Fun soon turns into chaos when Death Eaters (those loyal to you know who) arrive and cause havoc, with Harry of course, right at the center of all the trouble. Once back at Hogwarts, things don't quite go back to normal as this year sees the school playing host to the Triwizard Tournament, in which three schools compete for the Triwizard Cup. Somehow Harry's name ends up in the running and he is chosen to compete in the tournament. A tournament which involves fighting Dragons. A tournament that Harry may not survive.

I am told that Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire is one of the least favourite films amongst fans. Although I haven't read the book for this one, I am told that the reason it is one of the least loved films is because it is one of the best loved books. And is possibly the least faithful adaptation of all as it misses out a huge chunk of story involving the house elves. For me, at this stage (remembering we are only at film #4), this is no great loss as I am not a big Dobby fan.

I personally think that another reason this is not a fan favourite is that up to now, each of the films has moved the 'you know who' arc on in a considerable way. And with so much time spent on the Triwizard Tournament and the Yule Ball etc, you could be forgiven for thinking this film doesn't really move the 'you know who' story along very much. I often think the same thing, but then you forget about the last half an hour or so that moves things along in leaps and bounds. You know who is very much back by the end of this movie. And boy is the ending a humdinger. 

*Spoiler Alert!!!* 
The reason for the humdinger is that this film sees the first real casualty of the series with the death of Cedric Diggory. Now he may only have come into the wizarding world of Harry Potter in this film, but that doesn't make his death any less of a tragedy. And he's played by none other than the drop dead gorgeous sparkly one from Twilight too. Damn shame that. 
*End Spoiler Alert*

Fans may dislike it but I actually really love Goblet Of Fire. I love the distraction that the Triwizard Tournament brings. I love the Yule ball and all that comes with it, McGonagall teaching Ron to dance, Neville practicing dancing by himself and getting the girl for once, Ron's dress robes, Hermione getting all prettified and nabbing herself a bonafide date (finally showing Ron what he's missing). I love the introduction of Mad Eye Moody who is another of my favourite characters. I love Harry and Moaning Myrtle's bathroom scene. And last but by no means least I of course love Cedric. How could I not?

No matter what anyone else thinks, in my eyes, Goblet Of Fire is a worthy contender. 8.5 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 11th July 2011
UK Release Date - 18th November 2005

Cast Overview:

Daniel Radcliffe ~ Harry Potter
Rupert Grint ~ Ron Weasley
Emma Watson ~ Hermione Granger
Matthew Lewis ~ Neville Longbottom
Tom Felton ~ Draco Malfoy
Devon Murray ~ Seamus Finnigan
Robert Pattinson ~ Cedric Diggory
Katie Leung ~ Cho Chang
Stanislav Ianevski ~ Viktor Krum
Clemence Poesy ~ Fleur Delacour
James Phelps ~ Fred Weasley
Oliver Phelps ~ George Weasley
Bonnie Wright ~ Ginny Weasley
Mark Williams ~ Arthur Weasley
Jason Isaacs ~ Lucius Malfoy
Gary Oldman ~ Sirius Black
Timothy Spall ~ Peter Pettigrew
David Tennant ~ Bartemius 'Barty' Crouch Junior
Ralph Fiennes ~ Lord Voldemort
Robbie Coltrane ~ Rubeus Hagrid
Michael Gambon ~ Professor Albus Dumbledore
Maggie Smith ~ Professor Minerva McGonagall
Alan Rickman ~ Professor Severus Snape
Brendan Gleeson ~ Professor Alastor 'Mad Eye' Moody
Miranda Richardson ~ Rita Skeeter
Shirley Henderson ~ Moaning Myrtle
David Bradley ~ Argus Filch

Director ~ Mike Newell
Writer(s) ~ J.K. Rowling (Novel) and Steve Kloves (Screenplay)

No comments:

Post a Comment