Sunday 3 April 2011

Source Code


Here it is. The review that makes or breaks me as a credible, non-biased, professional film reviewer. Holy crap that's a lot of pressure.

My regular readers (or anyone who knows me) will know that the reason this review carries so much weight, is that I have an undeniable, ever present love of Jake Gyllenhaal. Not a crush. Lets not belittle this. It's an all consuming adoration. He is perfect to me. Always has been, always will be. I met him once for all of 5 seconds. It was the most magical 5 seconds of my life.

So now that you understand my affliction, maybe you understand why this review is going to be my defining moment. If I'm too biased I will never be a real, honest to goodness film reviewer. But how can I not be biased when I'm talking about Jake and his perfection? Let me tell you about the film and I'll deal with that conundrum afterwards.

The Source Code of the title is a device which allows a person to cross over into another's identity in the last 8 minutes of their life. There's a very specific explanation of the 'hows' and 'whys' of this in the movie, which I wouldn't want to attempt to re-iterate coz I'd probably get it wrong. The 'hows' and 'whys' aside, the guinea pig here is Captain Colter Stevens who has been placed in the body of a passenger on a train, which explodes 8 minutes later, just as he was getting to grips with what was going on. Capt Stevens mission is to be injected into this re-created scenario, over and over, until he discovers who bombed the train. The outcome of this discovery is to stop a further explosion planned for later that day by the same bomber. In a nutshell, the film is kinda like Groundhog Day crossed with Quantum Leap.

Sound confusing? Well it's really not as confusing as I've made it sound. The film is well timed and explains the technical stuff in a way which sheds light, but doesn't blind you with the science. You find yourself understanding it without feeling like you've been talked down to. Director Duncan Jones, who has only one other feature film under his belt (Moon staring Sam Rockwell), does an impressive job of shooting what is essentially the same scene several times, adding a different spin to each take.

Of course I can't review the film without talking about the performances. Here is where I am torn because I want to tell you that Jake did a great job. But I also don't want you to think I'm just saying that. He really did do a great job, my personal feelings for him aside. I honestly think this film wouldn't work so well without him. Or at least without someone who is able to be likable but also a little weird, and funny but also able to convey emotion. Jake does all of these things effortlessly. If thinking that makes me biased, well I guess my potential new career is down the toilet. But I think you'll agree that liking, or at the very least being on the side of, Capt Stevens is kinda essential to the film. 

My friend who accompanied me to the film thought it was predictable. I guess I'd agree with that to some extent but then I don't think Source Code ever labled itself as a mystery? *Spoiler Alert* I personally found the predictability to be a blessing as the ending I was hoping for whilst watching the film, is the ending I got. *End Spoiler* What did surprise me was the emotion of the movie. The last couple of scenes especially. And how grounded in reality the characters were, despite the fantasy setting. Cast wise, I felt it was a pity that both Michelle Monaghan and Vera Farmiga had little to do in their supporting roles as both were superb. I don't see how the script could have allowed their characters to do more but it was still unfortunate that their roles were so limited.

A film that stands apart from anything else on general release. Source Code will draw you in with it's premise but keep you hooked with it's humanity. 8 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 1st April 2011
UK Release Date - 1st April 2011

Cast Overview:
Jake Gyllenhaal ~ Captain Colter Stevens
Michelle Monaghan ~ Christina Warren
Vera Farmiga ~ Colleen Goodwin
Jeffrey Wright ~ Dr Rutledge
Michael Arden ~ Derek Frost

Director ~ Duncan Jones
Writer ~ Ben Ripley

4 comments:

  1. I'd give it 8 out of 10 to! and not just because of my own adoration for jakes sister maggie! ; ) I Think Duncan Jones is going to go on to become a seriously big time director. I loved "MOON" and source code is going to require rewatching as im sure it will feel different on a second viewing. Gotta love a layered film! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say fairer than that, well done. Rated honestly and not an over the top instant 10.

    My congratulations

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anonymous 1. I agree about Duncan Jones. Big things in store for him, for sure. Seen Source Code 3 times now and you definitely appreciate different things each time round.
    Anonymous 2, I have never given an over the top instant 10 and I don't intend to start now. But thanks for the congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a film, almost a nine but I'll know more next time round.

    M

    ReplyDelete